David Rice, M.D.
- Contact Address
- Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center
1515 Holcombe Blvd., Box 445
Houston, TX, 77030
- Contact Phone
- (713) 745-4530
- Contact E-Mail
- Professional Affiliations
- Medical School of Trinity College, The University of Dublin, Dublin, Ireland, M.D., 1991
- Chief Resident, Baylor College of Medicine and The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Cardiac and Thoracic Surgery, 1999 - 2001
- Resident, Chief Resident, Cardiac and Thoracic Surgery, 1999 - 2001
- Resident, Mayo Clinic, General Surgery, 1992 - 1998
- Fellow, Mayo Clinic, Thoracic Surgery, 1998 - 1999
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Mayo Clinic, Section of Colon and Rectal Surgery, 1996 - 1997
- Assistant Professor M. D. Anderson Cancer Center Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- Board Certification
- American Board of Thoracic Surgeons, 2004
- Texas State Board of Medical Examiners, 2002
- The American Board of Surgery, 2002
- Minnesota Board of Medical Practice, 1993
- Biography/CV (will open new window)
Dr. Rice was born and raised in Dublin, Ireland. He received his medical degree (M.B., B.Ch.) at the School of Medicine, Trinity College, the University of Dublin in 1991 and then completed his internship at St James Hospital, Dublin, Ireland in 1992. He left Ireland in 1992 to obtain his general surgery residency training at the Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN in 1999. During this time Dr. Rice took 18 months to complete a research fellowship in tumor immunology, examining ways of stimulating T-cells of the immune system to better fight cancer.
Dr. Rice went on to continue training in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery at the Baylor College of Medicine and at The UT M. D. Anderson Cancer Center from 1999 – 2001. Upon completion of his residency training in 2001, Dr. Rice joined the faculty at M. D. Anderson in the Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery as an Assistant Professor. He also holds a joint appointment with the Harris County Hospital District (Ben Taub General Hospital) and with the Houston Veterans Affairs Medical Center.
Dr. Rice is a diplomate of the American Board of Surgery, and is a member of many professional societies including the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland, the American Medical Association, the Texas Medical Association, the Society for Laparoendoscopic Surgeons and the American College of Chest Physicians.
- Mesothelioma Specialist
This Physician is a mesothelioma specialist